The Birth House is the story of Dora Rare, the first daughter to be born in five generations of Rares. As a child in an isolated village in Nova Scotia, she is drawn to Miss Babineau, an outspoken Acadian midwife with a gift for healing. Dora becomes Miss B.’s apprentice, and together they help the women of Scots Bay through infertility, difficult labours, breech births, unwanted pregnancies and even unfulfilling sex lives. Filled with details as compelling as they are surprising, The Birth House is an unforgettable tale of the struggles women have faced to have control of their own bodies and to keep the best parts of tradition alive in the world of modern medicine.
I have included some extras for readers on this site. A Recipe for Groaning Cake is a big favourite, but you may also be interested in taking a test to see just how Hysterical you are or learn a bit more about the history of the vibrator. Links to these and more may be found in the menu at the top of the righthand sidebar.
My new novel, The Virgin Cure, is on Canadian, US and UK shelves.
- #1 Canadian Bestseller
- CBC Canada Read’s Finalist
- Evergreen Award. Presented by the Ontario Librarian’s Assoc.
- Fiction Book of the Year – CBA Libris Award
- Author of the Year – CBA Libris Award
- Book Design of the Year (Kelly Hill) – CBA Libris Award
- Booksellers’ Choice Award – AIBA
- Long listed –International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award